Welcome to the 6th annual Columbia Basin Culture Tour!
August 9-10, 2014, from 10 am to 5 pm.
Self-directed and free of charge, the culture tour is a great opportunity to meet people behind the scenes at galleries and museums, visit studios not normally open, shop for original art or fine crafts and experience special events planned only for this weekend. Before you hit the road, check out the profiles to see the special events that are happening at each location!
Here are 10 hints for a great Culture Tour, passed on from a seasoned "Culture Tourist" who has been every year
- Start with a full tank of gas - some of these spots are off the beaten track!
- Take your ĎBackroads of BCí or other detailed map, if you have one. The CBCT Directory maps are good, but sometimes a bigger picture will be helpful.
- Be prepared to get a little lost - or at least think you are. One way streets and cul-de-sacs can be hard to find sometimes - but donít give up - they might have the greatest place to visit! I have a friend who calls this being an 'adventure kitty'.
- Bring a friend or family member or two - there will be lots of activities and events for all ages. But leave the dog at home please - it may not be welcome at some of the venues and it is usually hot on this weekend.
- Take your restaurant and hotel coupon book if you have one - this is a great chance to visit some new places to eat, and who knows? You might want to make this an overnight trip!
- Take your cheque book - some of the studios are not set up to take credit or debit cards. ĎSmallí money for small purchases will be appreciated.
- If you see something you like, buy it! It may not be there if you wait for next time, and many of these locations are not open regularly. Donít be surprised if you save the sales taxes - many home based artisans do not have to collect GST and/or PST, so purchasing directly benefits both the customer and the vendor (they arenít paying commission to a commercial outlet either).
- Wear comfortable walking shoes - you will be doing some wandering through gardens and yards to get to studios.
- Sun screen and a hat arenít bad ideas, either. Maybe even some AfterBite and a bottle of water or two - staying hydrated keeps your energy up.
- Plan to spend one day, at least! Events start at 10 am and run to 5 pm, both Saturday and Sunday.
See you on the tour!
For further information, please contact the Columbia Kootenay Cultural Alliance (CKCA)
250-505-5505 or toll free 1-877-505-7355, e-mail: email@example.com
The Columbia Basin Culture Tour, its partners and funders including, but not limited to, Columbia Kootenay Cultural Alliance, West Kootenay Regional Arts Council, Columbia Basin Trust, registered artists/venues, or any of their members, staff or volunteer workers will not be held liable for any damage, loss or injury to person or property sustained by a member of the public attending any Columbia Basin Culture Tour site or event. They do so at their own risk.